I love lists. There is beauty and clarity in the order. I love the crispness of the post it notes, the color of journal pages. I love checking things off (or crossing them out in Sharpie). List making is fun to me but also helpful.
And there is a surge of list making in self care these days too. You can buy all kinds of beautiful, inspiring journals with ready-made, inspired lists to create on glossy, gorgeous pages.
That got me thinking. What if I made lists of more important things than groceries and chores? What if my lists helped me grow spiritually? What if my lists helped me think better, at least for a while?
Here is what I came up with. The numbers are arbitrary (I find that it is sometimes easier to make a list when there are a set number of items) – feel free to accommodate and adapt as you like.
- 7 things you look forward to about heaven
- 10 ways you have seen yourself grow spiritually this past year
- 3 people to convert to Christ/influence
- 10 spiritual or moral qualities you appreciate about your spouse (or significant other or closest friend)
- 5 people to try to visit this month
- 7 ways you have seen God work in your life this month
- 15 reasons why you love or appreciate your church home
- 20 ways you see God in nature
- 4 people to encourage using your words (text, card, conversation, phone call?)
- 12 blessings you’ve experienced today
- 4 people that encourage you spiritually
- 5 places that help you focus and feel God’s presence
- 15 things you are thankful for about your family (spiritual or physical)
- 5 Scriptures that encourage your heart
- 10 spiritual gifts Jesus grants us
- 8 spiritual heroes (a Christian “hall of faith”)
- 5 people you have seen serve someone else this month
- 4 Christian authors or speakers that have said or written something you needed to hear recently
- 10 reasons why being a Christian brings you joy
- 5 Hymns (or religious songs) that touch your heart
- 4 scriptures that challenge you
- 5 (new) people to pray for
- 3 spiritual or moral characteristics you need to improve
- 6 ways the leaders (preachers, elders, teachers, deacons, etc) in your church have blessed or helped you
- 12 missionaries you know
- 3 ways God has shown His providence to you in the past
- 9 ways God has granted you comfort when you needed it
- 3 trials/challenges that you have learned something from
- 4 scriptures that give you peace
- 5 people to invite to church or Bible study
- 8 people to imitate as they imitate Christ
If you want a printable list, click here for 31 Lists
I came up with 31 lists – so, if I am diligent that means one list per day for a month. Do you have any to add?